This tree is crying out in pain, “You are killing me! I will die under this build-up of stones at my base. I will die because of all the rocks and stones are out to my drip line. I’m choking and can’t breathe!! Air can’t get through all this covering and it's hot. The weight of all these things is too heavy for my roots.”
Dr. Jim Conroy, The Tree Whisperer®, explains:
There may have been some practical reason why the homeowners would put all these materials under the drip line of this poor tree. But, they are killing this tree. It is a living Being!!!
Weighed Down to the Drip Line.
The materials add weight over the roots and suffocate them.
Roots can ROT and DIE if they are covered with so many materials.
What Can You Do?
- If this happened recently–say, this year–you can remove it. Rake away the mulch. Rake up every stone and gently smooth the soil to the same level as the lawn. DO NOT add mulch. You may put down a very thin layer of ORGANIC LEAF COMPOST, not more than 1/2 an inch.
- If you don’t know when this happened, remove the mulch, rocks and try to scrape away the extra soil. BUT DO NOT SCRAPE away roots. The tree may have tried to grow surface roots into the soil in order to recover health and breathe. You may put down a very thin layer of ORGANIC LEAF COMPOST, not more than 1/2 an inch.
- After removing the materials, leave it alone. DO NOT fertilize as that will put more stress on the tree!
- Water the tree regularly when it is hot and dry in summer.
You might try something unconventional to help the tree.
- Give the tree lots of loving attention. Say nice things to it from your heart.
- You might sing to it.
- You might whisper to it with tree Healing Whispers.
- Thank the tree for its life and for its gifts to you of oxygen and shade.
Be a TREE PROTECTOR! Do what is best for the tree. Think like a tree. Come from the tree’s point of view.